Monday, November 20, 2006

Mexico beginnings...

Well, I successfully made it into the country with a 90 day visa and a green light through customs. I like it when my plane rides are really uneventful. I had to wait for my welcoming committee for about 30 minutes when I got there. They thought I´d take longer in customs. My first day I went to a fiesta for someones birthday. Talk about baptism by fire. I understood a bit more than I thought I would, so that gave me a smidgeon of confidence. The food was amazing! Cilantro is still not my favorite spice, but I am sure by the end of the next nine weeks I won´t even notice it anymore. I have also decided after seeing all the vendors on the street that it may be worth getting sick a time or two. There were some delicious looking foods!
Church on Sunday was an experience. I wasn´t even there for five minutes before the branch president asked me if I played the piano. Luckily, I knew all the songs I played in Sacrament meeting. It was kind of nice to feel needed in that way. The branch has their own way of singing though, so they would slow down and speed up at will. It made it interesting... I was also baffled when I went to the bathroom and could actually flush the toilet paper down the toilet! It was quite a highlight for me! The church building seems fairly new, and is beautiful. I really felt good there. Thank heavens for a worldwide church!!!! The other meetings were good I think. Sadly they don´t teach a whole lot of church words in school... I have long ways to go in church language.
The city is absolutely beautiful, and after I have some pictures, I will post them. Today is a holiday (Mexico Revolution) so the clinic is closed. They are closed for Thanksgiving too, so I will have lots of time with Alan while I try and figure out the city.
Well, that is all I have to report for now. We are going to the market to get food. I don´t think we will get turkey though.... Oh well. Yeah for Thanksgiving pollo!!!!

Julie

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you got there ok. Can't wait to see some pictures. I am glad that Alan has some time off so that you two can explore together! :) Hope everything else is going well and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

20/11/06  
Blogger Ola said...

That sound GREAT!!! I'm so excited for you and that you're having a wonderful time and that Alan can spend some time with you!
can't wait to see some pictures!
And thanks for posting ANYTHING!

20/11/06  
Blogger Natasha said...

HURRAH for Mexico!!!
I miss you! Can't wait for pictures

25/11/06  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home